top of page

Anyone (18 and older) wishing to volunteer for VBS (or any other activities in our church that involve children) must obtain both the PA Child Abuse History Clearance and the PA State Police Criminal Record Check.  Information, instructions and links for both clearances can be found below.


Requirements for clearances:

  • Clearances that have been obtained in Pennsylvania within the past 60 months are acceptable and considered current. 

  • Clearances obtained for employment purposes are acceptable for volunteer purposes.

  • Clearances obtained for volunteer purposes are not acceptable for employment purposes.

  • New/potential employees or volunteers must:

    • Submit current clearances before starting employment or show proof of applying for clearances and sign a disclosure statement before starting employment on a provisional basis.

  • Employees/volunteers presenting clearances within the past 60 months need to affirm that nothing has changed since obtaining the clearances. (The disclosure statement for provisional employment is used for this purpose.)

  • Employees/volunteers are required to report changes in clearances status within 72 hours.

  • Background check fees for volunteers are waived one time within a 5-year period. Refunds are not provided for applicants who submit over-payments with their background check paper applications.

  • A Child Abuse Clearance can be obtained through the Child Welfare Portal.

Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately. 

You must submit a hard copy of your results to the church prior to volunteering.


Online Request:
The Pennsylvania State Police have established a web-based computer application called “Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History,” (PATCH). 


If you have questions about the Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Checks form, please call: (717) 783-9973 or toll free 1-888-783-7972.

bottom of page